If somebody asked you about the best multimedia player available, you’d probably answer VLC Media Player. And the truth is that this free and open-source application has consolidated as the best media player on different platforms, including Windows PC, but also macOS, Linux, and Android.
If you use it on your PC… why not on your mobile device?
This is the version in APK format for Android smartphones and tablet and that comes along with all the features that have made it so popular among millions of users. We have to take into account that we’re talking about a rather old application, the first version of which appeared back in 1996, and that since then has landed on all operating systems: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 10… That fact has made it evolve version after version, thanks to the contributions of the user community that has implemented different improvements and functions on each new editions, that have later been taken into the mobile version.
VLC for Android offers us a video and audio player capable of opening and playing any format, regardless of how rare it may be, as well as streaming from networks and ISOs and DVDs, just like the desktop version:
- Play multimedia files in any format, including the most common: MKV, MP4, AVI, MOV, OGG, FLAC, TS, M2TS, WV, AAC…
- Codecs included without needing to download them separately.
- Access to the multimedia gallery with complete searches.
- Support for streaming networks including HLS.
- Support for secondary devices.
- Possibility to introduce subtitle tracks, both embedded and external, including ASS and for DVD.
- Compatible with headphone controls.
- Audio equalizer.
- Access all the contents of a network.
- Compatible with Chromecast.
Alternatives to VLC? Which one’s better?
Well, at this stage the truth is that there are many other tools to play videos and other multimedia formats that also work perfectly: MX Player, KMPlayer, Media Play Classic Home Cinema… The thing is that going for VideoLAN’s program is always a safe choice and a wise decision. You know that it’s hardly ever going to fail on you and that you’re going to be able to open whatever format you need. So, we can say without a doubt that it’s definitely the best multimedia player for Android, although others are gradually closing the gap.
What’s new in the latest version?
- Fixes subtitle problems.
- Fixes problems with forward and rewind actions in the assistant.
- Improves the accessibility of the descriptions in the video player.
- Stability improvements.
- Minor bug fixes.
Requirements and additional information:
- Minimum operating system requirements: Android 2.3.
Download VLC APK v3.0.98. VLC media player app is one of a kind open source and cross platform Multimedia Player. This media player can play most of the video files as well as the protocols like Discs, Devices, Network steaming videos.This VLC app is a port of the VLC Media Player on the android platform. Just like the desktop version of VLC, it can run the following multimedia files.
- Network streams
- Network shares and drives
- DVD ISOs
VLC for Android is an app that is a state of the art audio player with features as Complete data base, Equalizers and filters, All audio formats.
- Free of cost
- No ads
- No in app purchases
- No spying
- Source code is available for free
- Closed captions
- Multi track audio and subtitles
- Support for auto rotation
- Adjustment of Aspect Ratio
- Gestures for controlling volume, brightness and seeking
- Widget for audio control
- Support of Audio Headsets
- Cover art
- Complete Audio Media Library
Some of the supported video formats are MKV, MP4, MOV, AVI, Ogg, FLAC, TS, M2TS, Wv, AAC. Codec’s are available without any further downloading. With VLC media library for both audio and video files user can search through folders directly.
- VLC unlike MX Player does not show directories that contain video only. Users think that adding this feature will make VLC a better app.
- Users complain that Casting Icon often fails to appear.
- The recent updates have excluded the Quick Buttons for locked screen.
- Video stops midway when orientation is changed. The problem started with new update.
VLC media player is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player that plays most multimedia files as well as discs, devices, and network streaming protocols.
This is the port of VLC media player to the Android™ platform. VLC for Android can play any video and audio files, as well as network streams, network shares and drives, and DVD ISOs, like the desktop version of VLC.
VLC for Android is a full audio player, with a complete database, an equalizer and filters, playing all weird audio formats.
VLC is intended for everyone, is totally free, has no ads, no in-app-purchases, no spying and is developed by passionate volunteers. All the source code is available for free.